The Giurgiulesti International Free Port transshipped 154.4 thousand tons of cargo in the first half-year, which is 6% more as compared with the equivalent period of 2010.
According to the company Danube Logistics – the general port investor and operator, the amount of shifted oil products went up 71.8% – to 33.1 thousand tons. However, for the first time, the fuel and lubricant exports reached 2.8 thousand tons.
Also 74.7 thousand tons of grain, 34.5 thousand tons (+19.5%) of construction materials were transshipped via the port.
“We are glad to a permanent growth of freight traffic amount. It tells about the fact that clients are satisfied with our services. Construction works at the general freight and container terminal come to an end. The new terminal will enable us process all types of cargo, therefore its turnover must increase significantly”, the Chair of Danube Logistics’ stockholder meeting, Thomas Moser, said.
The operator will install a powerful mobile port lifting crane (of the hoisting capacity of 70 tons) assembled specially for the port in Germany. The terminal will be also equipped with a ramp allowing accepting boats and unload trucks with goods from them.
Danube Logistics started building a railroad line to the port both with European and Russian-type gauges, which will allow supplying goods and exporting goods from the port to European countries and Commonwealth of Independent States.
Danube Logistics signed a long-term leasing contract with TransBulkLogistics, the affiliated company of TransCargoTerminal – grain terminal operator in the port. At the rented land plot, the company will build 2 reservoirs for vegetable oil and a pavilion for grain storing. Danube Logistics will also connect the plot to all infrastructure elements (natural gas, electricity, water and road).
Infotag’s dossier: The Giurgiulesti port construction project is implemented by the Easeur Holding BV company (Holland). The investment programs of its subsidiary companies in Moldova – Danube Logistics, Bemol Retail, Bemol Refinery and Bemol Trading – includes the construction of an oil terminal, cargo port, the first in Moldova plant for producing bio-ethanol, as well as 50 gas stations. The project implementation started in 2005 with the completion of the oil terminal construction. The holding’s aggregate project investment amounts to about US$250-270 million. The port length is about 700 m of the Danube littoral, which allows processing up to 1 million tons of cargo per year and making international sea and river passenger transportations. Thus, 80% of Danube Logistics belongs to Easeur Holding, and the rest of 20% - to the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
Investment in the port development reached US$7.2 million in 2010, and the aggregate investment in the enterprise development reached US$46.6 million. The annual port cargo turnover exceeded 1.2 billion lei, going up 3.6 times.